By Sara Brett

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Stay Happy




There has been a current trend as of late, especially within the blogs that I read on a daily basis, and that is the rise of what I like to call 'feel good' blog posts. Im getting on that bandwagon; I feel like we don't tend to recognise when people need help or a little something to cheer them up. We can get so engrossed within what is going on in our own lives on a daily basis that we miss the tell tale signs that we should pick up on to let us know that someone close to us is struggling and needs a little help to be picked up. 

I myself have gone through many ups and downs, some absolute highs and some incredibly bad lows, all of which my close family and friends know about and were there to support  me through. Everyone has things going on in their lives which we don't know about and which are there constantly testing and pushing us and I wanted to share with all of you what I find helpful and tips and ideas on what help me to feel brighter and ready to face the world. Sometimes there are days where all I really want to do is hide away and snuggle up underneath the duvet covers.


Talk and Share...

One thing I have learnt is not to keep things locked up inside. This is easier said that done and has been my greatest downfall; I personally find it so hard to open up and talk about how I feel to people, even those closest to me. Some of you who know me may find this difficult to understand as I have such a confident exterior sometimes but to talk about emotions- it freaks me out.

Find a way in which you can release and let go of your emotions- whether it be writing them down in a diary for your eyes only, or speaking on the phone rather than face to face. I find it easier to approach someone via text or email first, that way I know when I see them next to talk about it they can approach me or ask me how I am doing, and I don't have to do the difficult part and start the conversation about why I am feeling so low.


Do what you love...

I have spent six years working out and finding out what I want to do in life. Now I spend my days at university with people who are almost six years younger than me and I feel so old! I would not have it any other way- studying and doing something productive to get to where I want to be counteracts any negatives. Yes; I am a student and totally dependant on my student loan. Yes; I work part time and find it incredibly hard sometimes to juggle my time and get everything done to the standard and quality in which I want it. But I stand back and know it is all worth it and when I get to where I want to be I can hold my head up high and know I did this all by myself.

My advice to you; don't let anything hold you back. Virtually anything is possible. There is funding for almost anything nowadays whether it be for degrees, part time courses, training etc. If you find that a career change isn't for you why not try signing up to a weekend course where you can spend your saturdays with like minded people doing something you love?


Eat well...

This probably goes without saying but I can tell from how my skin looks and my mood as to what I have been eating and drinking in the past week. Too much alcohol and crappy food leads to a few too many spots and a lethargic and grouchy mood. It is all to easy to pick up that packet of crisps in-between work and meeting friends or to have that extra glass of wine while catching up with the girls, and by no means do I intend on telling everyone out there to live off of fruit and veg! However, do think about what you are eating throughout the day. If I can I love to start my day with a mug of hot water and half a lemon. I find it helps flush everything through my body and kick starts my body for the rest of the day ahead.

Make sure you get five portions of veg and fruit and drink plenty of water. Broccoli is an amazing source of iron and for us ladies this is so important. Not a fan of the greens? Then make sure you are eating lean meats to keep your protein levels up. Swap white bread and rice for multigrain bread and brown rice and avoid putting that extra spoonful of sugar in that coffee at lunch despite thinking it is going to help you get through the rest of the day. All of these things will add up and help you keep your body happy and feeling fresh.


Keep moving...

Im not going to sit here typing away about how we should all be exercising like crazy- I have not had a proper exercise regime in months; but I will tell you that when I do exercise I feel ten times better. Why not try to walk to the tube station instead of catching that bus because you are always in a rush in the mornings? Getting up half an hour earlier will mean you have time to take a leisurely stroll to the station and get that extra ten to fifteen minutes of fresh air at the beginning of the day.

This week I have signed up for the Moonwalk in May where I will walk the length of a marathon in aid of cancer. I am so excited, not only because I have wanted to do it for the past ten years but because it is going to give me the incentive to train and start exercising again. Why not sign up for a 3km run or a sponsored walk to get your head into training gear?

Be you...

Lastly and most importantly stay true to yourself. Don't do things half heartily or because it will please someone else or benefit them; do them for you. Its time to get selfish and think about the most important person. After all you are no use to anyone else if you are not 100%.

Stay true to what you believe in and who you are...this way you are bound to get to where you need too be physically and mentally.

I hope you've enjoyed something a little different. Let me know what you do to make yourself feel  better on a down day or to stay focused.

S x

N.B I'd like to make a note that all of these ideas and opinions are my own.


1 comment:

  1. Inspiring post, it's good to be reminded of these little things in life that can really make all the difference. Thanks for sharing :)
    Hannah x
    Hanniemc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete